搜尋此網誌 SEARCH THIS BLOG

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Uino Shion's sushi

Uino Shion (surname , given name) left 天草市, 熊本県 Amakusa (an island, Kumamoto ken) to pursuit his dream in New York in 2017. He was trained by the famous Saito Takashi (considered to be the God of Sushi in Japan) at 鮨さいとう Sushi Saitou (a three Michelin-Star restaurant (primarily serving sushi).  Located at downstairs of restaurant 三船 Mifune in New York is Uino san's eight-seater sushi counter Sushi Amane which received its Michelin Star within the first year in business, awesome achievement at such a young age .

 https://www.sushi-amane.com/chef/

  There is only one item on the menu - 御任せ Omakase . In this context, it means it is chef's selection, $250 US per guest (tax excluded). There will be a cancellation charge of $250 US per guest and cancellation must be made within 48 hours of reservation time. I guess the quality food and the experience of seeing the chef preparing your meal worth the cost.

  With that amount , I doubt very much that I would be at the restaurant but seeing the chef doing all the preparations in the video makes me hungry. It is my experience that high quality food at a restaurant also means small quantity (amount of food is much smaller than the size of the plate), I am a fan of balancing both.

  Amane is a 8-seater sushi counter, serving guests 12 years old and above.

https://www.sushi-amane.com/


  I wonder if the quality of  water will affect the quality of the sushi since the seafood is washed and soaked in water. Personally, I don't trust tap water.

  I have no experience in dining in such a high class place, I wonder if conversation must be kept to a minimum. I also wonder if tips are accepted since it is in New York (in Japan , no tip is necessary and is considered an insult. Doing a good job is a pride , not because of getting tips)

  One thing I learnt from observing sushi chefs is that sushi chef means "skillful with the sushi knife" and obviously, a good sushi chef will know how to select their seafood. of course, sushi chef requires a pair of clean hands (I hope so anyway).
 




    This is Uion's sensei Saitou Takashi san doing his work. This video also shows a bit about what being a sushi chef is all about.







No comments:

Post a Comment