搜尋此網誌 SEARCH THIS BLOG

Friday, April 15, 2016

SPIDER-MAN 2003




Anyone remember this Spidey animated TV series? It was released after Toby Mcguire's first Spider-Man movie. I know it is from a long long time ago , an ancient history, but I still remember how awesome I felt (still is) about this short-lived series.  It was new , very different from all other Spidey animated series , including the 60's one (I only like that classic 60's Spider-Man song, even though the animation was "lazy" but the song , even now , is catchy). Don't get me wrong, I like the Spider-Man animated series from the 90's also, plenty of classic comic book villains in that one as well as other Marvel superheroes including Dr. Strange and the X-Men, but this 2003 series suits my taste the best.

I do not understand why this 2003 series was cancelled after only one season. MTV said it had low rating, so they didn't pick up the second season. Well, I liked it and judging from what I read from the internet, many still do and wonder about the same question. I like the stories (darker feel)  , the character designs and the animation. Only if they knew that it only lasted 13 episodes , they would have put more villains from the comic into the season. If that was the case, I would be so thrilled to see their new design concepts of these classic villains (only The Lizard, Kraven, Electro and The King Pin appeared in this series) . Director Brandon Vietti said that he would put Mysterio and Vulture in the second season if there was one. I would have put Dr. Octopus, Venom/Carnage, Green/Hob Goblin, etc in it.  Michael Clarke Duncan did a good job in voicing The King Pin, just too bad that Michael is no longer with us.

I really wish that there was a second and more seasons for this series. Since there is a new Spider-Man movie next year , wouldn't be great to continue this series around the same time? Maybe fans should write to someone to revive this series.

This is the 18" Spider-Man which I got from around the same time as the 2003 Spidey animated series. It has 67 points of articulations , including the fingers. You can set it to any pose imaginable, better than any 1/6 scale figures including Hot Toys. The muscle tones are very comic-like, probably similar to that in this 2003 animated series. This has to be one of the most loved if not the most and playable toys in my collection. It wasn't too expensive at the time but I don't think they can make such figure at that price in today's market.







1 comment: