搜尋此網誌 SEARCH THIS BLOG

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Barack Obama's first news conference

I watched Obama's first news conference. My first impression of him was that he was calm with a presidential composure. He definitely speaks better than George Bush and gives the impression that he is well-educated (and he is ). Unlike Bush who likes to end a sentence in the middle of a sentence, he likes to pause in the middle of the sentence as if there is an invisible comma. I do not know if the list of reporters asking him questions was precompiled with a specific order of questioning or whether questions and answers were practiced beforehand, I still think his performance in his first official news conference as the President-Elect was impressive even though no specifics were given in his responses to the questions. One particular response got my attention. He said he would do the right thing and not rush into making any decision knowing that he has a hugh amount of problems to be solved,  with a great deal of expectation from his supporters. Although he is the envy of many minorities, they also worry about  his performance since any failures on his part will be detrimental to the future acceptance of the minorities making to the top within a white majority society.


I am not so impressed with his Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel who has the reputation of being confrontational (so I read).  I  noticed that the way he stood behind the President-Elect was like Superman with his hands on the waist. The body language tells me that this is one aggressive person. He is relatively short compared with others in the news conference today and I wonder if his aggressiveness is the compensation of his physical size. Obama's choice of his Chief of Staff signifies some change in the traditional makeup of the presidential office. Obama might employ more minorities in his cabinet than previous administrations. In my opinion, this reflects the true America - a melting pot of many races.


I am impressed with the way he conducts himself so far and I hope he will deliver what he promised during the campaigne. Obviously, his priority is to fix the country's economic problem and the wars in which the US currently engages are part of it. I hope he does  not label everyone evil as George Bush did, this can't be good for foreign relations.


I know there are still many people not happy with the election results and I hope that Obama will not suffer the same faith as JFK or Dr. King.


The Republicans are now in disarray, blaming people such as Sarah Palin for the failure of the Republican's claim of the White House. I don't think anyone can be blamed for this except George Bush who makes it impossible for any Republicans to be elected into the White House again. Eight years are quite enough!!


 


1 comment:

  1. 就算o係香港都feel 到Obama 政府有一股好強o既氣勢!
    [版主回覆11/10/2008 18:38:00]因為他是第一黑人總統 , 由 slavery 到總統, has been a long long time. 而外國人多數喜歡民主黨.. 但他有很多壓力,high expectation from many.

    ReplyDelete