搜尋此網誌 SEARCH THIS BLOG

Sunday, October 7, 2018

British English vs American English

   
  My last blog is about Japanese and Chinese , how about the English in British and American flavours (yes I spell flavour with a U! Not an U!) .

  I am surprised that I knew all of those mentioned in the video already. Japanese tend to use American spellings which I only follow in toy descriptions if they are used officially . For example, if Bandai uses color in the toy description, I will follow, but I really hate it when they use "clear colour version", I just say "clear version" because "clear" is not a colour , it just means the parts are clear parts. In fact , I hate to use the word colour after the name of a colour , e.g. green colour when it is supposed to be green. The reason for asians such as Chinese or Japanese to use phrases such as "green colour" or "red colour" is because that's what they say in their languages.

  Some nouns are also different. For example,  'operational table (U.S)' and operating theatre (Britain) ; the other is 'cinema (Britain)' and 'movies (U.S.) '.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment